Thursday, January 21, 2010

promise of strength and soaring!

Today is a "dia de fiesta" here in the Dominican Republic, Dia de La Altagracia. No real celebration that I've seen, but banks and big stores are closed until tomorrow.

Seeing I was nearly out of clean clothes, I was able to rig a clothesline across the carport and another across the little front porch and wash things at kitchen sink. Took some maneuvering, but am now waiting on God's sunshine and wind to finish the job!

Raisa invited me to lunch with her family. It was so nice to be with them. Their house is over 150 years old! Very, very Dominican--everything. We sat outside under their palm-covered terrace, surrounded by Birds of Paradise and all kinds of vines and tropical plants. Can't remember the name of the concoction we ate, but it was rice and tomato and shrimp all cooked together, with wedges of fresh avocado and icewater to drink. Then we had some yummy Dominican coffee and laughter over my attempts at speaking Spanish. So I could use the computer, Raisa gave me keys to her office and sent me on my way ... and so here I am, amazed at how God has provided this luxury! My dog has finally stopped crying and is waiting out in the car for his romp on the beach here. I'm just surrounded by comfort and promise of a house and new friends, and then I remember Haiti and long to be working there to alleviate their suffering.

Yesterday I passed a huge flatbed 18-wheeler being loaded with hundreds of boxes and sacks of rice. It headed out early this morning for the capital, and then on into Haiti. It will take a good 24 hours or more to get there, and I pray for the safety of the drivers and those responsible for distribution. Still unrest at the border crossing.

The Dominican navy is sending in boatloads of food and medicine to the port of Jacmel, and I just read that Venezuela has sent(or is sending) millions of gallons of gasoline and diesel fuel which the Dominican Republic will then truck into Haiti. PLEASE PRAY FOR THESE TRUCK DRIVERS -- this is an extremely dangerous route, even in good times.

Pastor Alexis from Ouanaminthe (at northern border crossing where I usually enter Haiti) called this morning, and I was able to get an e-mail response from Guy, a brother living in Milot (where the Citadel is). As I thought, there's no damage to structures or people from the earthquake. They both said, however, that nearly everyone they know, including themselves, has family in Port-au-Prince or in southern part of country. A few have learned that families are safe but have lost homes, and several also have learned of deaths of family members. What struck me was their inability to understand the gravity of what's happened. They know it's a bad crisis, but you can tell from their comments, they are really clueless as to the severity. And, as I thought, gasoline and food have become scarce... But this is not unusual for northern Haiti, and so this contributes to their lack of understanding. So far they haven't felt the stabbing reality of what's happened.

As I asked in an earlier e-mail, or post, or blog ?? I pray for CALM CALM CALM, for the people, the workers, the earth itself. I ask Father God to put his loving hands on this earth and cause it to be calm.

Hopefully tomorrow will bring the return of my deposit on the first house, and a new contract and move into the second house...another day closer to getting into Haiti. I'm looking forward to fixing up my new home to welcome friends who want to come and work with me here! This has been a long-time desire of mine, and it seems to be happening !!

Thinking of all my family and friends as I close... God watching over you.

2 comments:

  1. HEy Candy!!!!!!!
    We are all here at my house having a post mission trip party! Can you come? We will wait for you!!!
    Love you - keep up the blog!!!!!!!Love Kim and the TEAM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey you--when you get into Haiti and need a helper let me know--I need a strong friend to partner with when I go--would love to have my little medical kit there helping right now--God's perfect timing......thinking of you and praying for you everyday....Love--Cindy

    ReplyDelete