Monday, January 18, 2010

from Monte Cristi ~

I'm sitting in a little apartment, borrowing i'net signal from a new friend, Raisa. It's lovely here. And I'm grateful for this place and provision.
On Tuesday, Haiti shook apart. I learned of this by being shaken a little bit myself and running outside thinking a big quake was coming (we had a 6.5 about 4 years ago). Rather, I was experiencing a tremor from the biggie over in Haiti. Maybe you didn't realize it, but I"m Haitian on the inside!
On Thursday, at daybreak, I moved all my belongings here to Monte Cristi, excited to be on a new adventure in a new town, much closer to Haiti! On arrival, I found a house not prepared for occupation--dirt, broken plumbing, etc. Until today, I've been out of communication with everyone except for a call I made to Jill in our office, begging for prayer! My things remain in boxes and I'm camping out, waiting for God's place for me to live. What has been so hard for me is to not hear any news from Haiti, no TV, i'net, nothing. And I'm not able to go in until I have my belongings secured and a safe place for my little friend, Happy.
Today, we seem to have a little bit of hope ~ Raisa has found a house that I can rent for the same price as the original one. It's very nice inside, but outside needs some work. It's big, bigger than I need, but God can fill it up, right?? :) We're returning tomorrow afternoon to look at it again and make a decision. If you read this, please pray with me for wisdom in renting or not. Tomorrow should be day of decision!
HAITI ~~ As I said, I cannot get in until things are squared away here. Then, hopefully early next week, Luciano will come from San Francisco de Macoris, to stay in my new house and care for Happy, while I go over to see how everyone is in Bojwenn and Tova and Gaudin, etc. Telephone calls cannot go in our out yet, and this may be the case for a long time.
What is a catastophre in the south will quickly, if not already, spread northward in terms of lack of food, water, and gasoline/diesel. Everything in Haiti was channeled through the capital which is now, as you know, a capital in name only. The government is non-functioning, the roads are impassable, the port is not 100%, etc. Everything is focused on rescue, as it should be.
Hunger won't wait, however. Please pray for leadership to be wise in thinking logistically and able to plan ahead, cooperatively. Please also pray for a spirit of hope to descend on Haiti, and a spirit of calm-- that help IS on the way.
God is at work. His thoughts and ways not our ways, but He makes us to understand, and He directs our steps as we delight in Him. Delighting in Him is not always easy ~~ I've struggled in the last few days, even though I 'know' all this in my mind. Emotions are strong and often overwhelm us.
I'm soundly convicted of my need to blog regularly. Thank you for reading, and praying and loving and serving, and especially now for giving to help the helpless.
Candy

2 comments:

  1. WoW...Now this takes being a flexible missionary to a whole new level. Praying about the housing situation. Glad you are safe and thanks to your friend, Raisa. I am very grateful you have made contract.

    I love you, Deedra

    ReplyDelete
  2. I pray God's grace, peace, wisdom and safety over you both in the housing situation as well as in your travels into Haiti. Fill Candy with Your Spirit Father...

    In Jesus Name and Love,

    Tim Oram

    ReplyDelete