Friday, January 29, 2010

on the road, a LOT!

Whew.
Seems like each time I sit down to check messages and update blog, I'm being squished for time!! Probably the same for all of us.
Backing up a bit ~ on Wednesday, I drove across border (in north) and met up with Jaklin, a brother in Christ whom I've known for maybe 6 years now. I had just the one day to check things out because I'm still living out of boxes in Monte Cristi and there's no one to take care of things and my dog.
I found the border activity to be the usual chaotic jumble, with pushing and yelling, and a pervasive "me first" attitude... c'est la vie ici ! First stop in Ouanaminthe (bordertown), I was not able to visit, but was told the hospital was full with earthquake victims. Longterm need is for housing after discharge.
On to Milot, where CRUDEM (they have website) operates a very good hospital/clinic and has for many years. 70+ doctors were serving voluntarily...wonderfully organized and orderly. I was amazed! They've set up five operating rooms; Phillips has donated top-of-the-line monitors for the critical and for icu. The town has converted all the schools into hospital wards..each classroom holding 15-20 patients. Helicopters arrive daily with those in critical need of surgeries. Most victims here were in serious to critical condition. Big need now: nurses, as the immediate surgical crisis is waning. Shortage of nursing care. Also a need for physical therapists--so many amputees. Greatest looming need: housing after discharge from hospital. On Wed, Dr. Kelly (director), said he had 80-100 patients ready for discharge, but there's no place for them. They still need some care and rehab, but where to send them??? Please PRAY FOR THIS... it will take a large organization such as Red Cross, or UN, to meet this need.
I can only envision this is happening all over Haiti, and also in the Dominican Republic. Tent cities are going to be everywhere, but who will manage them? Who will administer and supply the food/water/sanitation needs? PRAY.
While in Haiti, I kept hearing a rhum rhum rhum sound in my car -- it got worse yesterday as I drove to San Francisco to take care of change in banking needs. Panic and a few tears passed with prayer, and I headed straight to my old mechanic's shop. Diagnosis: shot wheel bearings. He (Amado) was so kind...stopped everything to take care of my car! While he was doing this, another old friend, Willian, who drives a taxi, came and took me shopping where I was able to purchase 80+ tarps, heavy cord, and as many tents as possible (maybe a dozen)! Chased the sun to get back to Monte Cristi before dark -- sun won!
Today I'm headed to Dajabon to have brakes checked, finalize new banking, see if I can't get better phone access for Haiti, look for a generator for Ed, etc.
Tomorrow morning, I PRAY MY MOVE INTO NEW HOUSE WILL TAKE PLACE!!!! Then I'll have a few days to set up house and get ready for Simon, who's coming in on Monday morning. He will watch new place and care for my doggie while I head back to Haiti on Tuesday or Wednesday.
Next week: if all goes well (here they say, Si Dios Quiere; in Haiti they say, Si Dye Vle -- if God wants) I'll rendezvous with Jaklin in Haiti in the north, then drive to Petit Goave to work with Ed for a few days. I hope to be able to encourage him and get a better perspective on what MVI can do, and how to do it!
Am keyboarding as fast as my fingers allow ... hope all this makes sense.

Last news report I heard, the officials handling emergency in Port-au-Prince are asking 800,000 people to evacuate the city. This is more than just rebuilding a capital; we are speaking of the breaking down of everything in Haiti and the building up again. It will take more than the international effort we're seeing. It will take the absolute GRACE and MERCY of God. I do believe, this is His doing, and it is marvelous in His sight. Only God can see the amazing thing He is causing to take place through all of this.

Every one of us who knows God is being called, I believe, to place real FAITH in the goodness of God. He will not fail us.

Please pray for President Leonel Fernandez of the Dominican Republic. He's done and is doing a wonderful job, but he needs much understanding and cooperation and Godly counsel. Lift him up. May he have the light of the glorious gospel of Christ shining IN him.

I have to close.
Don't want to, but must.
Will try to post again tomorrow.
Thank you so much for prayers, and good wishes, and loving support.
Blessings!!!

2 comments:

  1. So encouraged by your friday update. Much Love sweetcheeks. Much!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey u--so glad to hear from you and that God is taking care of you as always!! Am on go to get in to Haiti--am sure needs are beyond imagination--thanks so much for keeping us posted-tell Jacklin and Simon hello and give them a hug--hope to see u soon--Love-Cindy

    ReplyDelete