Wednesday, February 10, 2010

...how?

Sometimes when your task is to observe and report, you can become really frustrated. You see the needs everywhere -- physical wipeouts all around you, spiritually malnourished Christians, nutritionally malnourished everyone, emotional stress and lack of sleep -- and all you want to do is make some impact somewhere.

Much of Ed Lockett's ministry follows the example of Christ as He let the children come to Him. We're so strong when we know we are loved. This needs to continue unhindered. And so those who come will allow him to go on doing what God has called him to do, and also putting a hand to the plow to lift up the downtrodden here.

If you're one of the many wanting to come but not knowing how or when or where to go, be patient. God has a role for everyone. To be honest, the hardest work is done on knees bent before the King, pleading for those who've lost their voice, or maybe don't know Who to call on. This is frontline ministry.

Being down here, not really a physically strong person, not being a nurse or doctor, most of my frustration is with the question "how" -- I see much of what needs to be done, but not certain of the next dot to connect. I'm a good coordinator, a connector, so am asking God to use me in this way. Then it will be "where".

I have an idea, actually two, as of yesterday. The first is to organize a group of Haitian men in the north -- from the area unaffected by the earthquake. They want to help, too, but have no way of knowing where to go--where to put their desires into action. I want to work with a few churches in the north to bring in some Haitian teams to assist with the very demanding physical work of erecting temporary shelters and cleaning up, and the reconstruction. This will take some financing on my part in terms of transportation and food. Not a whole lot, but pray with me that funds will be there for this!

My second idea is to speak with the 3 churches who currently support me, to see if jointly we can't adopt a community. I've visited one called "Ti Ginen" and today I'm going to return to take a few pictures and write up a request. I think this would please God, for us to work in concert. The immediate needs in this community are for temporary shelters and cleanup. Yesterday a pastor there (I saw 3 collapsed churches) said in one of the tent/tin cities there are 65 families. Some are living under old sheets of tin propped together and crammed together on vacant lots. It's not pretty. There's a huge area in Port-au-Prince called Cite Soleil-- a rather well-known slum. It would be unforgivable for us to let all of Haiti become a Cite Soleil.

So, now you know how I'm thinking... I still can't answer "how", but these are my first steps in the search. I would love any responses and ideas.

Be blessed "y'all" :)

1 comment:

  1. Candy -
    Your postings have been so well written! Thank you so much for pouring your heart out for us! Love, Kim

    ReplyDelete